Thursday, August 25, 2011

Laundry Rooms

Laundry’s do not normally appeal to me at all, as in, it’s not a room where I think ‘yippee,a creative outlet’. But they are a necessity and whilst I like the idea of the smallest hole in the wall laundry with some lovely doors that conceal all of it, it’s actually the one room in a colonial house that you can really jam pack with storage. So that’s what I’m going to do.

Looking at laundry images has altered my thinking ever so slightly, there are some beautiful spaces like these below.  This wall paper got my heart racing ... and that pendant light. Holy Mary ... where can i find one?
 
This one above's practical and rather pretty too. The short curtain to the sill appeals to me in a laundry
 
 
Being that ours is a narrow room, I need to make it workable and full of storage for all linen and nick nacks that never have a home, .. jars for example. Forever, the laundry tubs has been used for anything and everything in my world. Cleaning the fish tank, watering indoor plants, washing paintbrushes, soaking stuff etc etc etc. So I’ve decided do use stainless steel tubs and benchtops for the workspace element. Something like the below:
It does look sterile and is more often than not supplied to kitchens in KFC’s but it’s the sterility that I like and the double tubs.  I’ll add a wooden bench underneath for clothes baskets to sit. This'll keep them out of the way but totally accessible at the same time. The floors will be dark grey slate.

Doesn't that look neat below. Not worthwhile for me, i don't plan of having tea and cake in there. Actually, that cabinetry is the same as what we have in our kitchen, fancy that.

I’m jumping between study, wardrobe and laundry at the moment. My attention span is that of a fish when I know there’s a few projects on the go and I can’t rest on the floor plans until I know what the room needs to consist of (dimension wise). It’s a vicious circle isn’t it?

Here are some more pretty smaller laundry’s. Not going to work for me this time around, but they may work for you?


Really love this one above. Superb use of space for the cottage home. Gee I like VJ ceilings.



Oh, the carpet tile. Remember that post i did yonks ago on the cheap reno where we decked the cottage out in carpet tiles? SO cheap and SO effective. (I copied off Julie over at Restoring the Old girl )

I really do love the idea (if you have the space) of a mud room that doubles with the laundry. Kick off your boots and gardening gloves, throw your dirty clothes straight in the tubs and chuck on a clean robe ... sounds good huh
Well, I need to get out the sketch pad and put what's in my head on some paper. Finalising plans is fun, for a little while ... a very short little while, and then it's just bloody tedious.

Friday tomorrow, nothing tedious about a weekend. Go the Wallabies!

1 comment:

  1. I always find it really hard to make laundry rooms nice. I really like what you did here. You gave me tons of ideas for my own laundry room. Thanks you so much.


    -zane

    ReplyDelete