Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Small Vintage

Quite often when shopping for vintage fashion, majority of the gorgeous frocks I find are miniscule. Teeny tiny Vivienne Leigh size waist. V Small.

‘A’ found this punch bowl still in its box about 8 months ago, somewhere. It’s been sitting on the back deck on a bench collecting dust so I decided it was time to wash it and bring it in. This is it

Dime a dozen, and probably shoved in the back of most of our parents cupboards, but a good little piece nonetheless and still in its box with its plastic hooks and ladle.
 
Of course my first thought was, ‘there’s one sip to be had out of this cup’.

So I did a direct comparison with a normal sized glass of today, and compared my Poppy mug with the daily coffee mug I actually drink out of
Ridiculous right?

 
And then i felt a plate comparison was required
 
I realise that this isn’t news to anyone. We all know that the size of these things has increased and nowadays, when a woman seeks to lose weight, she has her meal off a side plate instead to assist in portion control.

What I’d love to know is why we even needed to make things bigger? Because it's 'trendy'? Other than making our entree of scallops look incredibly small and glasses of wine pitiful, it enables us to eat more than we need without even realising.

40 years ago women (and men) drank out of little glasses, ate off small plates and scooped out of shallow bowls. Women didn’t go out and hit the pavement, box, do yoga or run on a treadmill to slip into a frock. They just ate and drank smaller quantities. Actually, aerobics was big in the 80's. Is that when our plates got bigger??



Anyway, my punch bowl cups are very small and this is the punch recipe book that came with them


 

There’s a June punch. My month of birth, so I might have a little morning tea in June with small portions of caramel slice and scones. I'll be in the market for teeny vintage frocks in no time.

1 comment:

  1. I scored a punch bowl from a relative recently,the box takes up so much cupboard space.Glad to have it though.If only we could go back to dainty portions when eating out as well.

    ReplyDelete